Much to my chagrin, I simply didn't have time to make the kids' costumes this year. It is one thing that I enjoy doing very much. But, alas, sometimes sanity trumps fun. So, this year, at least, we had commercially-made costumes for Halloween fun! It kind of worked out because the kids wanted to be Power Rangers Samurai, and I don't really know how I could have made anything cost effective to do that costume justice, plus I thought the most daunting part was the mask, which they ironically all ended up refusing to wear! On the positive side, I was happy that the three older ones wanted to be the same thing because I thought they were cute.
Gray was an absolute terror. While we let him eat A LOT of candy, he was constantly mad because we didn't let him eat everything at will. (Remember, he's two-- lots of candy is REALLY messy, and we were having to get in and out of the car!) Also, every time we got in the car, he thought we were going home, so he would shout, "No go home; want more candy!" and pitch a fit. Levi was ready to retire for the evening after about three houses. Of course, Ellie Ruth had a ball and Lorelei was a little angel, as usual.
This first costume IS a homemade costume. Mama made it for Levi's first Halloween, and it is adorable! However, Lorelei hated all of the hair in her mouth, and the tail just did not make it a conducive costume for riding in a car seat. (We just couldn't take it off and on like that, or leave that hard tail under her.) But, I did want to take her picture in it because she was just so darn cute!
 |
| Ellie Ruth-- the Pink Ranger |
 |
| The very muscular Gold Ranger, Levi |
 |
The Red Ranger, Gray
Note the pacifier- He wouldn't wear his mask because he said his paci wouldn't fit! |
 |
| Grandpapa and Lorelei |
 |
The Mullis kids on Halloween, minus Nora.
The lazy title of my post is my own little personal joke. I was anything but lazy for Halloween. This was my day (this doesn't include prior preparation over the last few weeks.) Please note that all times concerning whining, fits, complaining, and the million times Ellie Ruth spilled her candy in the car and we had to wait on her to pick it up were purposely omitted so that when I read this in a few years I will have hopefully forgotten all of that!
6:30-- Get up, dressed, Lorelei fed, breakfast made, lunches made, faces washed
7:45-- In the car to school
8:15 -- Feed Lorelei and unload the car. (This was unloading the car: Two upturned buckets with connected witches' hats with ten glow necklaces for the witch hat ring toss, a jar of candy eyeballs for the "Guess the Eyeball" game, a cauldron of ping pong balls labeled "trick" or "treat" for that game, prizes for all of the games, bags of treats for both Levi's and Ellie Ruth's classes, a stroller, a baby, and a diaper bag. I looked like a one-act clown show.)
9:00 Classes start rotating through Ellie Ruth's room. I head up the ring toss until 11:30.
12:00 Play the ping pong trick or treat game with Ellie Ruth's class.
12:15 Stay for lunch and treats with Ellie Ruth.
12:30 Head home-- Get costumes ready for the night, try to get a little organized
1:20 Go to town to order supper for the Mullises' Halloween, buy long johns for the kids' super-thin costumes (since it was supposed to be so cold, but then wasn't!), got side tracked in Wal Mart and bought more than I should have, got side tracked in Belk's and bought a pair of boots.
2:50 Rush to school to pick up kids
3:15-- Rush home
3:30-- (Ashley was here to help or we would NEVER have made it) fed Lorelei while Ashley helped the kids get homework, go to the potty, and get on their costumes, get ready myself, take pictures of the kids in costumes
4:15 Load everybody, along with buckets, masks, coats (because it's going to be so cold), Bumbo (for pictures), etc. in the car
4:30 Trick or Treat at Corbin's office
5:00-- Pick up food ordered earlier for supper at the Mullises
5:20 Arrive at Mullises-- get out kids and supper, take pictures,eat, visit with trick-or-treating cousins
6:45ish--Trick or Treat
8:30-- Head Home, showers, bed
9:00--How is it 9:00 already? I still need a shower; the house looks like a tornado full of Halloween came through, and I've got to go to sleep or I'll never make it through tomorrow! |
No comments:
Post a Comment